Program Development: Research & Innovation
The Research and Innovation Division seeks innovative solutions to Utah transportation challenges using new techniques, information, tools, products, resources, and training. We strive to be responsive to changing transportation needs. Our services and resources are accessible to our customers, and our work focuses on relevant issues facing our industry.
- Idea Discovery
- Innovation Implementation
- Sharing and Communication
- Access to Information
- Develop a RUC program
- Improve the UTRAC process
- Accelerate research project delivery
- Accommodate important off-cycle research & implementation plans
- Maximize funding & resources, develop funding partnerships with our UDOT divisions as well as others like UTA Ustar SLC etc.
- Find new transportation solutions through national surveys, TRB, UTRAC & other means
- Produce "High Value Research" and submit to AASHTO
- Implement an EV Program
- Develop implementation guidance
- Accelerate innovation through employee engagement
- Recognize Innovations, Publish I&E Report
- Make real time reporting on Innovation & Efficiencies
- Improve reporting from our National Committee members
- Improve TRB attendee follow up and implementation support
- Maintain and facilitate Library resource access
- Effectively Communicate research results to UDOT and Transportation community
Cold in place Recycling Research recognized as High Value by AASHTO RAC
Utah is participating in both phases of the RUC West regional pilot.We have been involved in 8 of 17 RUC West projects.
Leading 3 Projects
- New: Technology for RUC Communications
- Completing: Parameters for a RUC rate
- Completed: Impacts of Changing Vehicle Fleet Fuel Economy On State Transportation Funding
Pooled Fund Projects
UDOT is currently participating in 36 Pooled Fund projects. Leading 9 Projects
US Domestic Scan selected by AASHTO
"Hydrodemolition For Partial Depth Removal of Bridge Decks"
Selected Problem Statements
Three Successful NCHRP Problem Statements submitted or endorsed by UDOT:
- Workforce 2030: Recruiting and Training the Next Generation Transportation Construction Workforce
- Design Specifications for the Static and Seismic Design of Piles for Downdrag
- A Guidebook for Risk-Based Construction Inspection
Quarterly report on our recently completed research projects, updates on our division, as well as highlights from national innovations.
Innovations & Efficiencies Report
The Research and Innovation Division gathers and reports on UDOT's innovations. This includes a broad spectrum of new and innovative solutions to everyday challenges and efficiency improvements.
We report 3 things about each submission
- Problem - what was difficult
- Change - what we did to fix it
- Result - the improvement benefits
- Updated UTRAC process, Decision Lens, pre-meeting outreach efforts, & champion match up
- Increased support from UDOT funding match from Divisions and participation in TAC's
- Rapid Response Research - "Back-of-Curb Evaluation Study"
- Maintain and facilitate Library resource access added ROSAP and PIARC links
- Quantity of Projects
- Time to Contract
- Presentation of Research
- Funding & Support
- Benefits of Research
By the Numbers
Budget - Projects with Monetary Modifications
Budget - Average Modifications
Schedule Extension Averages
Time to Contract
Time to Contract - Number of Days
Presentation of Research
Timeline of Completion and Presentation of Projects
Need to Collect More data on presentations
Funding- Research Funding Types by Year
Matching Fund Trends
Support - Count of Projects by Division Sponsors
Benefits of Research
Innovation & Implementation
Innovation and Implementation Group
Our goals are to SEEK instances of innovation, SUPPORT the implementation where we can, RECORD successes and lessons learned, and SHARE the results in a meaningful way with the idea of standardizing innovations where applicable.
Idea Generation & Implemented Ideas
We follow up with each idea and provide support to help get it past the finish line.
Nearly 30% of the ideas submitted since November have been implemented on some scale.