Region 2: Preconstruction

Quick Links

Overview - Find goal tracking information

The Preconstruction Division is a collection of Region’s experts for Roadway Design, Utility coordination, Agreements, Hydraulics, Right of Way Design and GIS responsible for delivering quality projects for Region Two.  
The Preconstruction division provides quality plans and specifications for UDOT projects that meet both federal and state requirements.
Charles Mason Hill, S.E.
Preconstruction Engineer

Right of Way GOAL: Knowing the Geometry of the Roadway 

Provide a resource for project teams to determine earlier the need for Right of Way acquisition.  Once a project is moved to scoping, the ROW team will determine if the historic ROW information is available for the project roadway. If available the information will be provided to the team thereby allowing the team to determine sooner if the new alignment will be able to remain within the current ROW or if additional will be required. 
  • October 2017: Region GIS is working with Region ROW design to create a ROW GIS interface utilizing archived project documents. 
  • January 2018: An interface has been created using Projectwise to obtain the information, it is a slow process but does provide a initial step for determining ROW. The next steps are to make it more user friendly and provide an overview of the available information within the UPLAN layer.
  • May 2018: The map layer is up and working in UPLAN. There are several ways to interact wit the map, first is to view right of way lines that have been uploaded directly for certain routes (as shown below) with different line styles to denote either No Access, Limited Access or just Right of Way. The second way is to open the Projectwise link and see the reference Right of Way plan sheets. The third is just a combination of the first two methods. 

Right of Way; Survey Ladder

As part of the effort to improve Region Right of Way, I will be working with Central ROW, Central HR and Capital HR to properly define job classifications, titles, and pay ranges to create a career ladder for Survey and Right of Way individuals. 
  • November 2016: Working with Region 4 to agree on the underlying requirements and responsibilities of the positions associated with ROW/Survey. Derek is working with Central ROW to provide an updated list of properties that have priority within the Region for Surplus/Excess. 
  • April 2017: The position ladder for Region ROW/Survey Department was submitted to Human Resources for review and comment. 
  • October 2017: Working with Central ROW to add one additional position to the career ladder. 
  • March 2018: Finalizing the job description and all aspects of the career ladder to send to Capital HR. 
  • May 2018: Working with Ben Huot and James Olschewski to create a policy of advancement within the career ladder and preparing the documents to go before technical committee. 

GOAL: Build Core Competency 

Sub Goal 1: Concise Project Documentation 
New PDC, Waiver/Exception, Deviation and PDN – Roles, responsibilities, what it all means. Develop, with Christopher Whipple and the new CE IV, a training program for the new PDC/Waiver/Exception/Deviation form for both internal and external designers. This training would work with Central Preconstruction and Traffic and Safety to incorporate their needs. The new PDC form with the waiver, exception and deviation elements should be out for review in August and ready to use over the next year. The training will be developed during the review process for the documents and be ready for roll out one month before the implementation of the new forms.
Sub Goal 2: Renovate the Project Delivery Network
Develop, with Central and Region Program Management, training for new and existing designers on the roles and responsibilities of the project teams within the Project Delivery Network(PDN) framework. The development of this training will begin immediately within Region 2 and by October 1st have a presentation available for review and discussion.
Sub Goal 3: Be Active in the Project Schedule
Provide training on MS Project, the available scheduling tool, and discussion of techniques for establishing realistic time frames for design elements. Encourage project teams to use the risk registry to discuss possible schedule risks during the kickoff meetings and update as the project progresses. Understanding that additions to project, while the right thing to do, will have project implications (schedule and budget). When additional work is added request a meeting for all parties to discuss the implications and new risks associated with the additional scope added to the project.

October 2017: 
  • Sub Goal 1: Due to modifications and updates to the DD and PA drawings the timeline for this process has moved to be out for review in November 
November 2017: 
  • Sub Goal 1: The new PDC form was rolled out at the Annual Conference with the anticipation of the new form being used in the spring. The other Regions and Central are reviewing the revised form while a training is being developed.
  • Sub Goal 2: Working with Central and others on the utilization of the PMO scheduling tool which directly relates to the PDN. The different groups are discussing changes or modifications to the scheduling tool to encourage better usage. Through this process the PDN framework may be adjusted or better defined. Therefore the training presentation has been placed on hold.

January 2018:
  • Sub Goal 1: The new PDC is being converted from excel to an online form with the help of Interchange. The form will be available through interchange and have a better signature notification process.
  • Sub Goal 3: Preliminary training has been provided to the design staff as well as information on where to find the best tutorials online. Preconstruction has held a “Partnering Meeting” with the Project Managers to help improve communication, documentation and expel some misconceptions. Follow up meetings are planned to discuss success from the first meeting and establish new and longer term objectives.
March 2018:
  • Sub Goal 1: The next phase of Mountain View Corridor will be using the new PDC, excel version. Through this effort efficiencies will be found that can be implemented as part of the Interchange version. 
  • Sub Goal 3: Additional training will be provided to the Design team and Project Managers over the next few months.  A follow up meeting to the Partnering meeting has not been scheduled yet but will occur in May or June.
May 2018: 
  • Sub Goal 1: The new form has been submitted to FHWA for approval and Central is progressing with the Interchange interface of the document. 

GOAL: MS4 - Focus

Provide aid/training from Hydraulics and Environmental to maintenance stations and specific identified individuals that will be monitoring and reporting on status. Create and provide, with Central Hydraulics and Environmental, a specific training to expand on the existing MS4 training that details responsibilities of the identified maintenance personnel performing the mandatory inspections.
  • October 2017: Rhonda with Central Maintenance has been working with the stations and Sovann on MS4 inspections. Sovann will offer assistance to Rhonda and the stations to help with outfall inspections.
  • January 2018: This has been re-assigned to Abiy and he will be coordinating with Rhonda to determine the next steps and any applicable trainings required for him or others that may provide assistance.
  • May 2018: A full time position has been filled to take on this assignment, Nate Nichols.
Develop Drainage Inspection and Implementation Plan for stand-alone drainage projects including cleaning, inspecting, mapping, and conceptual repairs. Work with maintenance to identify possible project limits and expected scope. Prepare a concept report for one defined area.
  • October 2017: Region Hydraulics will meet with the Area Supervisors to identify hot spots within their areas to better identify routes or areas.
  • January 2018: A project has been identified for transportation solutions funding to clean, inspect and determine the appropriate repair. 

GOAL: Project Timeline in GIS - Continued

Utilizing the strides taken last year with the migration of design files to GIS maps, Region Two GIS will work with Region Programming Liaisons to provide conceptual information and line work for all concept reports prepared this year. Region GIS will meet with each region program liaison to request all concepts have line work and a project synopsis for a one-pager.
  • November 2017: As the concept reports for the year are being wrapped up, each group is providing Region GIS with the line work to enable the creation of a needs map. Currently Region GIS is completing the integration of the Capacity projects. The choke point projects are underway and should be providing some initial line-work within a month.
  • January 2018: Region GIS has been working on the Needs and Accomplishments layer and is well underway with the 2018 STIP map. Information, that is available, is being converted into GIS and gaps are being filled by the Region staff or consultant that performed the original line work.
  • March 2018: All new concepts will have preliminary line work to be provided to Region GIS. Additionally Region GIS is working with Project Managers to have project teams provide line work updates at milestone meetings. 
  • May 2018: Region GIS met with the Project Mangers to request they be added to project meetings to better follow up with the design teams to obtain the needed line work. 

GOAL: Maintenance Agreements 

There currently is a gap between the creation of a maintenance agreement and the implementation.  This task builds off of last years Agreement tracker goal.  As part of this goal there will be a relaunch of the Agreement Request form for both project related and maintenance agreements. Continue working with both Region GIS and Central GIS to update the agreement map and data sources. Work with Central Utilities to standardize the attributes for existing and new agreements to aid in the accurate depiction of the location and limits. 
  • October 2017: Determining the issues with the data and the presentation of the data within UPLAN map. Requesting information from maintenance stations for existing agreements that are hard copy at the stations, working with Marjorie Rasmussen.
  • January 2018: New agreements are being tracked and displayed in UPLAN.
  • March 2018: As new projects kick off for the year the Agreement Request form will be brought to the attention of the project teams for ease of getting agreements started. 

Region Two Agreement Request Form

May 2018: Some minor updates have been made to the Agreement Request form. One of the major updates is that the requestor will receive an email notification with a tracking number after they have submitted a request. This notification will have an estimated completion date and specific individuals to contact with questions. 

GOAL: Planning - Corridor Plans

Work with Central Planning to continue to progress the Corridor Planning effort. Identify and prioritize subsequent corridors to study and find a dependable funding source to continue the program within Region 2.  
  • November 2017: SR-201; SR-36 to I-15 has been identified as a corridor to study. The kick off meeting with internal stakeholders has been held and data gathering has begun.
  • January 2018: The second meeting with external stakeholders has been held and the information gathered from there is being prepared.
  • May 2018: Future Corridor Plans: SR-224, SR-209, SR-171, and SR-71 (Bangerter to I-15)

GOAL: Planning Continued - Coordination with our Partners

Continue to work with WFRC on the 2050 Unified plan. Attend stakeholder meetings, quadrant meetings and provide updates to Bryan and Lisa.
  • November 2017: WFRC is scheduling meetings to layout the preferred scenario with the different quadrants.
  • March 2018: The small area meetings have been held.  The preferred scenario was presented and offered the communities another opportunity to provide comments.  WFRC will be following up with Region Two for any additional comments once the community comments have been integrated. 

GOAL: Planning Continued

Work with Central Planning to develop a prioritized list of capacity projects and prepare or update Concept Reports and line work for at least four (4) projects on the list.
  • November 2017: I-215 Eastside and Westside and I-80 in multiple locations have been identified and the concepts updated. The concepts now need to be reviewed and combined/modified as needed to fit the LRP or develop possible amendments or additional to the 2050 LRP.
  • January 2018: There is no Capacity projects being moved forward to STIP this year. 
  • March 2018: Meet with Central Planning to determine a list of projects from the Unified Plan that need concept reports and identify gaps within the plan. Provide a list of concept projects in April for completed Concept reports before August. 
  • May 2018: Discussed with Central planning a list of concept reports. Complete list will be compiled in June and work will begin with completion prior to December.