Region 2: Traffic Operations (FY 2018)

Overview

The Traffic Operations Division oversees traffic and signal studies, traffic operations, and the maintenance of electrical highway systems. This division develops corridor agreements and access management plans, direct risk management and safety/loss needs, incident management, and emergency communications.
The group works with the community, local municipalities, and other agencies to provide support for traffic, safety, and active transportation. This includes identifying and developing innovative solutions for traffic and safety issues in UDOT Region Two.

Permits

The Permits area includes Access, Encroachment, and Special Events permits and Blue Stakes utility marking for UDOT assets.

Goal: Efficiencies

ACCESS/SPECIAL EVENTS
The Access/Special Events group is trying to find ways to minimize repetition with access applicants and create a more clear understanding of the access process.  The group is also trying to gain a better understanding of the R930-6 code as a group.
  • Sept. 14:  Nate has developed checklists to provide better guidance to access permit applicants.  The group has also been taking great care to explain the process clearly to applicants in Pre-app meetings and in other communications.
  • Dec. 11:  The access/special events group continues to make very clear to access applicants what to expect with the permitting process.
  • Feb. 22: Meetings have been reduced to 30 minutes to be more efficient and minimize repetition. This is saving time on UDOT’s side and the applicant’s. Rather than cramming all info into one meeting, three different meeting types are now occurring. Due diligence meeting, pre-application meeting, and a redline meeting with the engineer and Nate.
  • May 11: The three different meetings has reduced the amount of effort and time in processing applications. As part of a new access website, applicants can not schedule their own appointments automatically.  https://sites.google.com/s/1bYQ25YfQ3-JX9NbeZjDBsvv3v7L2HD95/p/1APlgoCF9dYWV6hl3n6Ao5jNHZAZ-dvSO/edit
BLUE STAKES
The Blue Stakes group is developing a damage investigation checklist, a vendor checklist where we buy locating equipment from, and a new employee tool checklist.
  • Sept. 14:  Golden has begun developing these checklists and is making good progress.
  • Feb. 22: Golden is still developing these checklists. Damage investigation checklist is done, but Golden is developing a training for that checklist. Golden is still working to have the vendor checklist and the new employee tool checklist ready by March 12th when Joe Herrera begins.
ENCROACHMENT
The encroachment group is pursuing a change to the encroachment permit billing process that would require the permit applicant to pay for inspection hourly rates up front as part of the permit instead of having to bill the applicant during construction.
  • Sept. 14: Shane has been working on this.
  • Dec. 11:  Shane continues to work with Rod on this.  The framework is there, but this effort is temporarily on hold waiting out how the “behind curb maintenance rules” get changed in state code.
  • Feb. 22: No change in status since Dec.
  • May 11: This goal was not able to be met based on the changes in the last legislative session.

GOAL: Training

ACCESS/SPECIAL EVENTS
The Access/Special Events group is going to improve training within the group by holding a weekly staff meeting training and to promote UDOT training/leadership programs through UDOT University.
  • Sept. 14:  There have been no trainings within the group through UDOT University, but the group has been holding weekly staff trainings most weeks on a variety of self-improvement topics.
  • Dec. 11:  The Access/Special Events group continues to hold weekly staff trainings on topics that help us improve in our work as well as personally.
  • Feb. 22: Weekly trainings are continuing to occur.
  • May 11: This is a list of trainings:
  1. Healthy Utah - Dietitian (my wife) came to discuss healthy eating and excercise-16 Personalities
  2. We all took a personality test and discusses our likes and differnces-Power of Positive Thinking
  3. Motivational speaker and discussion-Motivational Speaker
  4. Chad Hymus (From a UDOT conference)-Retirement bennifits-State Employee Discounts and bennifits-Road side safety
  5. What to do? - flat tires, checking vehicles for safety issues-R930-6 discussion-Importance of personal goals
  6. Video clip and discussion-How to prioritize tasks
BLUE STAKES
The Blue Stakes group is getting training on how to use the GPS system to map traffic signals and lighting circuits.
The Blue Stakes group is getting training on how to use the damage investigation checklist.
  • Sept. 14:  Golden is making sure everyone is familiar with the damage investigation checklist.
  • Feb. 22: The blue stakes staff is familiar with the checklist, and they’re working on a training for the checklist.  They will include the new locator in the training.
ENCROACHMENT
The encroachment group is going to better track the trainings that have been completed and that need to be completed by the inspectors.
  • Sept. 14:  Shane is still working on developing a spreadsheet to track these trainings.
  • Dec. 11:  Shane has developed a spreadsheet to track the trainings completed by the Inspectors and is in the process of filling it out.
  • Feb. 22: Spreadsheet has been filled out with completed trainings.

GOAL: Innovations

ACCESS/SPECIAL EVENTS
The Access/Special Events group is trying to create a better and more user-friendly access permit application process.S
  • Sept. 14:  The group has reached out to Rod McDaniels and the DTS developers to see if small tweaks can be made to improve the Online Permits System.  We are still waiting to see the improvements be made.
  • Feb. 22: Many improvements and tweaks have been made to OLP to improve the system.
  • May 11: An access permit website has been created to help simplify the effort in processing permits, scheduling appointments, and going paperless. https://sites.google.com/s/1bYQ25YfQ3-JX9NbeZjDBsvv3v7L2HD95/p/1APlgoCF9dYWV6hl3n6Ao5jNHZAZ-dvSO/edit
BLUE STAKES
The Blue Stakes group has been working with large UDOT projects to have the project bluestake within the project limits. Golden is watching as new large projects are coming so that the project team can be asked to include locating as part of the project scope. Getting the larger projects to cover the locating work allows the Region locators to keep up on their normal locating workload.
  • Sept. 14:  Golden has successfully gotten the following projects to include locating work as part of the project scope:
  1. Bangerter 4 Interchanges
  2. I-15 Southbound Add-a-lane
  • Feb. 22: Currently pursuing having the next Bangerter projects, MVC, and I-15 Northbound projects include bluestaking responsibilities into their project.
  • May 11: Bangerter, MVC, and I-15 Northbound will be including bluestakes as part of their contracts freeing up Region 2's locators to focus on all other projects and permits.
ENCROACHMENT
The encroachment group is pushing for getting a change to the R930-6 Administrative Rule that would give more teeth to encroachment violators.
  • Sept. 14:  Shane has been working with Rod McDaniels to develop the new rule language and push it towards approval.
  • Feb. 22:  The draft amendment is under review with the technical committee scheduled to vote soon.
  • May 11: The amendment was not submitted in this past legislative session.

Traffic & Safety: Projects

The Traffic & Safety Projects Group coordinates with UDOT project teams to help determine needs within a roadway project pertaining to the movement of traffic, signing, striping, and other safety features. They also help lead the efforts related to performing traffic studies to determine needs for new traffic signals, signals for pedestrian crossings, and speed limit changes.

GOAL: Responsiveness

Provide good customer service to UDOT staff, public, and other government agencies by providing project teams with preliminary lane limitations before PS&E and revised limitations (if needed) with comment resolution meeting.
  • Sept. 13:  Tracking lane limitations spreadsheet has been revamped and we are currently keeping track of lane limitation deliverables.
  • Nov. 13:  Lane limitation deliverables are still being tracked. The projects group is working on developing a traffic limitations GIS map. A meeting has been scheduled with Alex Gilvarry to help determine the feasibility of this and what it could potentially look like.
  • Feb. 28:  Lane limitation deliverables are still being tracked. The submittal of initial lane limitations before PS&E is still in progress but not consistent. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eyt-RdirTYyVcFbPsvAao4ToRqYL2s55FGj_gffW-cw/edit#gid=0         The initial meeting with Alex was mostly a brainstorming session on workflow and information of value in the map. No new progress due to the STIP workshop. Next steps are to initiate another meeting with Alex to consider adding historical data to the map.
  • May 10: Dave Cox will be working to have limitations for all safety projects done before kick-off and into future years.

GOAL: Process

Develop and define processes for various work related tasks to provide greater efficiency and consistency.
  • Sept. 13:  A meeting has been scheduled for 09/20/17 to discuss structure and layout of processes.
  • Nov. 13:  A weekly lane closure document has been developed to document weekly lane closure requests that occur during a week. Also, the projects group has determined to set development for a process for lane limitations as priority.
  • Feb. 28:  Currently holding a weekly process development meeting. Currently working on developing a lane limitations process for projects. https://docs.google.com/document/d/16_vC3wm5QxPhOERmGPH1SjEq7gJNgbN606lpbXCAdII/edit
  • May 10: Staff turnover stalled this goal. Megan and Marge will re-start meetings.

TRAFFIC & SAFETY: PROGRAM & SAFETY

The Traffic & Safety Program & Safety Group coordinates efforts to identify and prioritize traffic safety projects, as well as projects to improve traffic flow. They also coordinate efforts related to active transportation (bikes, pedestrians, transit). The Planning & Programming team addresses questions or complaints from the public regarding UDOT roads in Salt Lake, Summit, and Tooele counties.

GOAL: Innovations

Be proactive in putting together lists of projects for Chokepoint and HSIP/SSIP projects
  1. Keep in contact with maintenance sheds to get their ideas for projects.
  2. Review fatalities to see if there are ways to improve the system for safety.
  • Sept 20:  We are working closely with maintenance to finalize a list for SSIP and HSIP projects this year.  We are also about to kickoff Hales Engineering to prepare a tool that will help us identify projects and rank them effectively
  • Nov. 13:  We have finalized our lists for SSIP and HSIP and will be sending the project info over to Dallas Wall at the Complex this week in order to get B/C ratios.  We have hired a couple of consultant firms to do Concept Reports for the Chokepoint projects and they anticipate being done by the end of November.
  • Feb. 1:  SSIP, HSIP, and Chokepoint projects were submitted for the Region STIP workshop in February. http://uplan.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=2d5f60d99eba4e87ad5db16f2a5bcfeb
  • May 11: We have a draft prioritization tool from Hales. We have provided comments back and are awaiting the final product. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WhG1rERi2XzPg96heeFX1zXWHOO9lkBn

GOAL: Efficiencies

Reach out to authors of click and fix tickets within one week of submittal.  This does not mean that the problem has been fully investigated and resolved, but that we have reached out to the person to let them know we are looking into the complaint.
  • Sept. 20:  Kelly met with Becky who is in charge of click and fix to find out why Traffic is getting so many of these per day (average 3-4 per day).  I found out the history and we are working on a solution to get these under control.
  • Nov. 13:  The backlog of Click N’ Fixes has been completed and all inquiries that we are receiving these days are new.  We receive around 3-4 Click N’ Fixes per week and everyone now has the ability to reply directly to the Click N’ Fix website rather than having to route them back through Alicia for her to post the responses.  We are generally responding to inquiries within 1 week of receiving them.
  • Feb. 1:  Continue to keep caught up on all public inquiries.
  • May 11: Continue to keep caught up on all public inquiries.

Signals

The Signals Group coordinates the efforts of signal inspection, maintenance, and plan reviews for projects.

GOAL: Traffic Signals Maintenance Measures

Preventative Maintenance Goals
Complete the infrastructure rating annually on all signals in the Region using the checklist from Central Traffic Signals. Goal of 100% completion.
  • Sept. 15:  These are being done 100% for the inspections completed so far.
  • Mar. 6:  2017 was complete at 100%
Conduct an aerial based inspection every four years on all signals in the Region using the “Aerial PM” checklist from Central Traffic Signals. Goal of completing 25% of signals each year.
  • Sept. 15:  Aerial inspections are in progress and on target for completion by year-end.
  • Mar. 6:  All inspections completed in 2017.
100% of deficiencies found during inspections will have a work package created.
  • Sept. 15:  Work packages are created and in progress.
  • Mar. 6:  All work captured in packages and two of the four are complete. Progress is continuing on the other two.
  • May 11: Four of four are complete.
Reactive Maintenance Goals
Complete work orders within 5 working days.
  • Sept. 15:  Current average rate is 3 days.
  • Mar. 6:  Current average rate (Oct 1 - March 7) is 2.5 days.
  • May 11: Current average rate continues to hold at 2.8 days.

GOAL: Asset management

Complete the Device Activation checklist for all new installs and report to the Signal Engineer. Goal of 100% completion.
  • Sept. 15:  The new asset management system just went live 9/1/17 and the crew is beginning to use it and update devices.
  • Mar. 6:  Asset management system is in use and devices are being updated as they are changed. The annual Malfunction Monitor Unit (MMU) swap has updated the asset tags as they have been changed.
  • May 11: Completed remaining Malfunction Monitor Unit swaps in April.

GOAL: Construction inspection

Follow signal turn on checklist and inspection reports for all projects, assuring that contractors complete all items listed. Goal of 90% of reports are completed and filed.
  • Sept. 15:  Several projects are nearing completion and will be evaluated at that time.
  • Mar. 6:  All checklists to date have been completed.
  • May 11: Shaun & Dave report 100% complete for the projects they have inspected / turned on.